Search This Blog

Saturday 4 April 2009

Wire brush rash..

Beware the wire brush I say, whilst the struts were out on the 2000 mk1 I took the chance to clean up the inner wheel arches etc scrapping off flaking under seal I opened up some holes in the chassis rail a pain in the arse area to repair properly with the engine in ,its also a double skinned area -just underneath the battery tray (viewed from the engine bay) -so with the wire brush rash exposed I set about some temporary repairs which I will make permanent next time the engine is out
First off I welded in a thick chassis repair plate , then a thinner plate shaped to fit the inner wing- over lapping the top of the chassis rail as per original,strong enough to last until I swap back to a MK1 2000cc engine (to satisfy the pre '68 historic regs for some of the events I want to take on next year)whilst the engine is out I will re visit the whole area

No comments: