Search This Blog

Thursday 23 April 2009

The stags in the shed.....I may be sometime...

Well to nights activity was a bit of an explore into the unknown,Its the first time Ive got right underneath the stag and poked about -I knew what to expect but I just wish the holes had been left as honest holes rather than patched up with pigeon shit welding! The MOTs mans yellow crayon scrawled all over the place leading me to the dodgy areas- N/S Foot well-patched from above but rusty old metal not cut out from below! duh! why?! Front sill end into lower inner wheel arch-not there! allowing me to shine a torch down inside the sill which for 90% of its length is OK Rear of sill into floor pan (where the strap from the cross member mounts) -v dodgy patch Bad repairs in region of spring hangers-but new spring hangers..argggh Out riggers one dodgy patch the other lots of holes O/S Not quite as bad as the N/S but read as above No doubt the above list will get worse as the under seal and cack comes off!...oh and heaven knows whats behind the chrome sill trims...gulp! On the plus side some one has thrown cash at this car- new looking KONI classic dampers fitted,full stainless exhaust system with tubular manifolds,offenhauser inlet,holey carb,lovey wheels and brand spanking new tyres,new discs,copper brake lines etc It really is a strange one it seems to have had some nice bolt on bits but been completely let down by some DIY welding and failed the MOT in style My jobs list even before I think about getting the 3.9 V8 and LT77 box back in it looks like this- Strip interior carpets/seats expose the floors Strip rear end-trailing arms ,drive shafts possibly cross members and diff (the trailing arms were coming out anyway for new supflex bushes,modified datsun shafts are ready and waiting to go in) Fabricate repair panels and weld in new metal Then I can think about refurbishing suspension/brakes etc -I think getting the engine in is the least of my worries really! I will post some pics of shed carnage soon..

No comments: