Search This Blog

Tuesday 19 March 2013

Normal stuff,memories, grumpy moans,musical bells

View from the edge has a bed partner http://shedtunecars.blogspot.co.uk/- I thought it would be easier to keep the car stuff separate,they will both be on the Shedtune web site once sorted out 


Normal stuff-

The last week or so has been the familiar combination of house bashing and Daddy duties  - I lucked out of Bastard Ballet this week,my wife being home to take "little pink princess" to the "Pushy Mothers School of Dance" parking our 10 year old Audi A3 next to the new Range Rover "Jordans"
The house bashing has been slow but steady the bathroom floor is now a bit stronger 
Still plenty more to do before I start a temporary contract  for paid work in mid April

Grumpy

The weekend involved a shopping trip and measuring of feet, the 3 year old proving he is actually growing and needing to move up a shoe size, unfortunately the shoes he wanted and threatened to throw a strop about would have gone well with a white track suit, obligatory Range Rover "Jordan" and a hair transplant-the only saving grace being they were blue and not sodding pink.
I did point out to him that if he chose those it would be a slippery slope into track suits, hoodies, KFC and borstal - apparently I said this a bit loud- and without studying the other clientele in the shop -my wife asking me to disappear before I got glassed-he ended up with the bloody shoes, only because his feet are narrow and they were the only ones the right width
 I note with horror that channel four are broadcasting a program called "gogglebox"-which is a "reality show" watching people watching the fucking telly -how bloody lazy, give me a documentary on the 100 year war any-day, I did happen to watch our local news the other day -it must have been a Sunday or a slow news day at least,as they were reporting on a pub music venue in Bath called "The Bell" that might be forced to close-now if I was a local reporter wanting to spice up a boring news report on a grey slow news day Sunday I would have gone with the tag line "Musical Bell ends?" That would have woken them up on (in-front of)"gogglebox" ..."what did he say love?" "not sure something like musical bell ends in Bath" ...."ooh I might watch this pass me the kebab sauce.. don't spill it on my white track suit"

Memories -its odd what can trigger them!

I  managed to sneak into the shed  for a couple of evenings see http://shedtunecars.blogspot.co.uk/ it was whilst stripping the interior out of the P6 that I found an old pink parking chit- one like the old bus tickets-this one was date stamped 1978 - you were given them by the car park attendants ,who had a little machine, not surprisingly just like the bus conductor use to have -the car park was a bit of  what was called "waste ground" back in those days-before property developers existed - parking bays marked out using old concrete sleepers -the attendant was an old boy in a little shed-wore a cap and was more than likely a member of the Royal British Legion,during the seventies every down at heel Northern town had car parks like these.
The ticket brought memories flooding back to me of just that sort of car park in Whitehaven which was the nearest "big" town to where I grew up (It was a fifteen mile drive and always an adventure).
The ticket I had found was in fact printed with  "Whitehaven car park"  - the Rover P6 was a car local to where I grew up and would have used that car park on a regular basis, hence the ticket under the seat -one memory strangely relates directly to the car park itself, it was a sunny day (strange for Cumbria) myself and older sister had obviously be sent off with Dad "to the shops"- in the car park was a brand spanking new Jaguar XJS V12 - red I seem to remember,not the sort of car you saw every day in our bit of west Cumbria,especially in that car park,Dad was obviously quite taken with it as was I,he filmed sister and I walking round it posing pretending to be rock stars or something -the fact he used some of the very precious and expensive " film" in his second hand "fixed in the shed" cine camera (he still calls digital video cameras cine cameras) meant it was an occasion- the only reason I can think he even had the camera with him,could have been why we had gone to the shops in the first place, to buy film for it- in preparation for one of our nomadic family holidays.these were spent touring Scottish lochs with caravan,mirror dinghy and my five brothers and sisters-we had a 1970 Transit 12 seater as a family car,but by 1978 we had a Peugeot 504 "family estate" that could carry 7- (by that time my eldest brother and sister were excused the caravan holidays)-all these memories triggered by a parking ticket in an 41 year old Rover than ended up with me more by accident than plan,I need to dig out that old cine film and convert it to digital ,you never know the P6 could be in the background somewhere.

No comments: