Search This Blog

Saturday 10 August 2013

Reasons to be grumpy part 1





It’s been a while since the last update but fear not the “view” from the edge is much the same, (grumpy) so what’s been going on?

 I see it looks like the Pandas might have actually got round to copulating rather than watching Jeremy Kyle - there was a royal birth -the potential baby Panda having one up on the royal as he wont have to start calling his “Uncle”  “Daddy” following revelations in the tabloids in years to come


England retained the ashes thanks to some shite weather in Manchester and a Scotsman won Wimbledon (in the sunshine)

The house still needs bashing and the shed is still full of the non-working faded remnants of the 60s+70s British car industry.

Children are on school holidays - it’s been a juggle of play schemes Daddy Duties and grown up work- but at least no Bastard Ballet

3 year old is now a 4 year old and has his own bedroom compete with “soddingskirtinbastard” boards and we are easing slowly towards having a working family bathroom for the first time this year along with an en-suite in our room – all though I have voluntary banned myself from using its shiny new facilities as it will only be a matter of time before a statutory ban is placed upon me and I will be sharing the Spiderman tooth brush with the 4 year and the other smelly little toads’  back in the “family” bathroom.


Now back to grumpiness 
–I enjoy being grumpy it makes me happy, I enjoy being cynical, sarcastic, complaining  about “having to go out” having to endure “other people” going anywhere busy , or even having to speak to people- much preferring to spend  hours on my own cleaning old bits of rust.. and recently there have been some long long  grumpy nights spent in the shed-they normally start around 10pm and last till 2am as I try and get the 1976 Reliant Scimitar GTE (SE6a)- which hasn’t been on the road for the last 18 years  ready for a Mot and 2,000mile trip round Europe. 
Why? Well…

My brother in law shared similar views on grumpiness  unfortunately his chances to be happy by being grumpy were cut short last November at the age of 39 due to a cancerous brain tumour – where we differed was he was a far more talented engineer , designer and shed dweller than I - defiantly  more stubborn- refusing to give up on ideas and not deterred by the lack of resource- see “dining room table and mothers leaky damp garage” he managed to successfully produce his design for a new type of fitting -I am sure would have seen that and other ideas into production if it wasn’t for his untimely death-the future for his design is still unknown- but his legacy to me- apart from being a top mate, family member and uncle to my kids-  is one of a truly talented grumpy “shed dweller” whose memory should be used to inspire all shed projects and adventures –hence why I am refusing to give up on what some have called the “plastic pig” (1976 Reliant Scimitar GTE) I know it’s a marmite car, but I love marmite and love this car  – I remember at the age of 8 or so studying a cut away picture of it in a Osborne “how it works” type of book and thinking what a cool car it was – 
I will be raising funds for cancer research- - by driving the GTE non stop from Boonie land to Nice via Col de la Bonette-  jumping into the med for a dip before an overnight halt – which will more than likely be spent in the hotel car park bolting  bits back on the car with help from “Homer” (my life long  best mate and co-driver on these type of events) before we set off back to Boonie land via Stelvio Pass.

We are setting off the 6th Sept – all well and good if the car passes its Mot on Tuesday this would give me a couple of weeks road testing etc –hmmm due to family commitments I wont be able to do any testing until the 2nd September …this is a car that hasn’t turned a wheel under its own power for 18 years -those few days after the 2nd might well be busy ….but I refuse to give in and I will be grumpy about it.

Anyway I can’t back out now the T shirts are in 





-speaking of which please contact me at shedtune@gmail.com if you would like to buy a “Shedtune” t-shirt you could have a standard “I would rather be in a shed” type one, or I could do you a bespoke-- like these three and you get to keep the art work to put up in your shed- …let me know – all profits going to Cancer Research

My idea is every two years to do a similar event against similar odds raising funds in memory of my brother in law...

The Rover P6 being in the frame to complete the ten highest peaks in the Pyrenees’s in 2015…



No comments: