Search This Blog

Sunday 19 October 2008

Next Shed project- "The Barge"

After eying up stags ,stag saloons and 2000 estates on the RBR I thought it about time I joined in the V8 Triumph fun . My Shedtune thought process went something like this: Stags - would love one but not massively practical with a growing family and a shrinking budget. Stag Saloon/Estate- Practical but rare and expensive-well I imagine them to be expensive So we need to make a Shedtune version-Stag engine and running gear would be great but could prove costly and hard to get hold of a suitable parts car, and would I want to break a Stag that could be restored? My thinking turned away from Engine/Drive train for the time being; I had spoke to Richard Brake of CT fame at the RBR start, he had bought a 1973 2000 estate off me about 4 years ago, to cut a long story short it had been accident damaged a few times and now needed a restoration,the good part being Richard had replaced the sills using NOS parts - a deal was done and I hope to have the estate back here around the end of November I also had it in the back of my mind that I had seen a Rover V8 kicking around Dales workshop( Moordale Motors) again a deal was done and the V8 is now mine- I hope to pick it up mid November So we now have an engine and a shell- a good start- but I am going to need a few other bits. I want to keep the Triumph transmission-why? well because I have two spare O/D boxes and I love the overdrive,it also keeps things simple not having to get the tin snips and big hammer out to fit the LT77 box,also if a good Stag engine ever came my way I could drop it in. Bits I need to track down; Bell-housing adapter kit etc to mate the RV8 to the Triumph gearbox Exhaust headers front system etc Engine mounts/brackets The shell has front and rear damage so will be looking out for any suitable panels to suit the MK2 2000 estate If anyone could help out with bits or advice please contact me via the forum or e-mail ajppearce@gmail.com Ideally I would like to have the project finished in time for the 2009 10CR but reality tells me that could be a bit ambitious -thus my aim would be to use it as the "Manx Raider Service Barge" supporting Martin Randle in his TR7 sprint taking on the Manx rally in July 2010 -if so it would have to be finished with a black bonnet and have spare TR7 wheels on a roof rack ! (that would leave more room inside for Homer and I to stash our pies and cans of Stella) in fact has anyone got pictures or info on the estates that were used by the "works" teams.

No comments: